Moving Thunderbird towards libxul

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Fri Jul 16 11:18:23 UTC 2010

> Option 1 - Mailnews, mail as separate libraries
> Linking with the external API means we loose a lot of the string
> optimisations that we get from the internal API. e.g. nsAutoCString
> equates to nsCString in the external API, and so you won't get
> pre-allocated memory on the stack.

The strings API is the main pain point when it comes to libxul, not just
for Thunderbird.

Can we change the libxul API/ABI to include a sane string API that does
not lose performance and is comfortable to use?

> Option 2 - Mailnews, mail included in libxul

It seems to me that Option 2 is not really libxul, but rather
libthunderbird, and quite counter to the idea of libxul.

Ben