Thunderbird Product Notes v0.6

Dan Mosedale dmose at mozilla.org
Thu Jul 15 19:21:14 UTC 2010

  On 7/15/10 11:23 AM, neandr wrote:

>  [15.07.2010 00:42]    »Dan Mosedale« wrote:
>> From a strategic point of view, the biggest conflict is in values
>> alignment:
>>
>> "Individuals must have the ability to shape their own experiences on
>> the Internet."
>>
>> Enterprise deployers generally value minimizing support burden
>> significantly more highly than (for example) allowing users to
>> customize their installation.  Additionally, enterprises value many
>> features in ways (eg calendaring) that are fundamentally very
>> different than the ways that end users tend to value them.
>>
>> More operationally, a big motivation behind this statement is simply
>> an intent to focus.  Mozilla as an organization doesn't have
>> significant experience in working with the Enterprise sector, and
>> Thunderbird as a project has far too few active developers to do a
>> good job with both individual and enterprise features.
> With all respect for the people working at Mozilla/Thunderbird and
> fully understand the limitation they are faced with, I would like to
> see a more detailed mission statement for the products (TB/LG) and the
> future of it. Only expressing TB is for individual users, SOHO and not
> for the Enterprise is a very vague  statement.
This is, indeed, a first step.  As mentioned in the intro paragraph of
that page, we're still evolving a stronger vision, and that's not likely
to make it into a draft of this document just yet.
> Are there definitions for those use cases?
No.  This is unlikely to happen before the stronger vision is further along.
> If they exists follows Mozilla/TB/LG  them?
> Beside a mission statement how about a road map? Also the projects are
> very much living on engagement of contributors and their very
> personnel requirements, likings etc  such a plan/road map/(what ever
> you name it) would make clearer where TB/LG stands and the force go
> into -- or should go into.
A todo on my list (as listed on
<https://wiki.mozilla.org/User:Dmose/Arch_of_Participation_todos>) is to
put together a product priorities page which ties some of these things
together.  I suspect this will help address the concerns you mention.
> With David  coming on board we have seen some plans, very
> enthusiastic  eg. about the integration of LG with TB.
>
> Did I missed the updates to all of that?
Yes, see <http://ascher.ca/blog/2009/02/18/lightning_update/> for the
details.  That page specifically talks about Thunderbird 3, but the
keep-it-as-an-addon plan is still current.  Note that as part of
Thunderbird 3.1, the start page advertises Lightning to end-users.

Dan