Thunderbird Product Notes v0.6

Dan Mosedale dmose at mozilla.org
Thu Jul 15 18:58:13 UTC 2010

  On 7/15/10 2:34 AM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> I agree. Do not spend a lot of effort on it, but take as much of the
> market as you easily can - easy both in resources and values.
>
> Can we clarify "focus" to mean that, e.g. "We nevertheless appreciate
> patches that make Thunderbird more enterprise-friendly, if they are
> not in conflict with our values", and avoid being interpreted as "we
> don't want enterprise-aimed features"?
I see your point that there is indeed room for misinterpretation here.

One of the things I'm trying to be careful about here is that I'm not
sure whether a feature is useful to the enterprise says much one way or
the other about whether we'd accept it.

In particular, I think whether we accept _any_ patch or feature into the
core is not just about avoidance of values conflict, but rather a
complex calculus that includes that as well as a whole bunch of other
variables, including "what's the cost/benefit to existing users",
"what's the cost/benefit to people outside of the SOHO/individual
market", "what's the cost of maintaining it", "who is going to maintain
it", "is it likely to add complexity to other feature work we
anticipate", etc.    This is all covered by the last point in the
Decisions section of <https://wiki.mozilla.org/User:Dmose/Tb_Participation>.

I'm concerned that it's difficult to explicitly call out enterprise as
proposed in the product document without implicitly committing to
spending more time evaluating and reviewing such changes than other
parts of the product.

On a somewhat related note, I'm already feeling like these documents are
big enough that they're likely to discourage people from reading them,
so I'm relatively disinclined to add more verbiage except in cases where
it provides very significant value.

Dan