Thunderbird Product Notes v0.6

neandr neandr at gmx.de
Thu Jul 15 18:23:10 UTC 2010

  [15.07.2010 00:42]    »Dan Mosedale« wrote:
> From a strategic point of view, the biggest conflict is in values
> alignment:
>
> "Individuals must have the ability to shape their own experiences on
> the Internet."
>
> Enterprise deployers generally value minimizing support burden
> significantly more highly than (for example) allowing users to
> customize their installation.  Additionally, enterprises value many
> features in ways (eg calendaring) that are fundamentally very
> different than the ways that end users tend to value them.
>
> More operationally, a big motivation behind this statement is simply
> an intent to focus.  Mozilla as an organization doesn't have
> significant experience in working with the Enterprise sector, and
> Thunderbird as a project has far too few active developers to do a
> good job with both individual and enterprise features.
With all respect for the people working at Mozilla/Thunderbird and fully
understand the limitation they are faced with, I would like to see a
more detailed mission statement for the products (TB/LG) and the future
of it. Only expressing TB is for individual users, SOHO and not for the
Enterprise is a very vague  statement. Are there definitions for those
use cases? If they exists follows Mozilla/TB/LG  them?
Beside a mission statement how about a road map? Also the projects are
very much living on engagement of contributors and their very personnel
requirements, likings etc  such a plan/road map/(what ever you name it)
would make clearer where TB/LG stands and the force go into -- or should
go into.

With David  coming on board we have seen some plans, very enthusiastic
eg. about the integration of LG with TB.

Did I missed the updates to all of that?

Günter