Thunderbird Product Notes v0.6

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Thu Jul 15 09:34:35 UTC 2010

  On 15.07.2010 00:42, Dan Mosedale wrote:

>> One question if I may, or please tell me to go elsewhere, but why is
>> the Market focus just SOHO?
> From a strategic point of view, the biggest conflict is in values
> alignment:
>
> "Individuals must have the ability to shape their own experiences on
> the Internet."
>
> Enterprise deployers generally value minimizing support burden
> significantly more highly than (for example) allowing users to
> customize their installation.  Additionally, enterprises value many
> features in ways (eg calendaring) that are fundamentally very
> different than the ways that end users tend to value them.
>
> More operationally, a big motivation behind this statement is simply
> an intent to focus.  Mozilla as an organization doesn't have
> significant experience in working with the Enterprise sector, and
> Thunderbird as a project has far too few active developers to do a
> good job with both individual and enterprise features.

I agree. Do not spend a lot of effort on it, but take as much of the
market as you easily can - easy both in resources and values.

Can we clarify "focus" to mean that, e.g. "We nevertheless appreciate
patches that make Thunderbird more enterprise-friendly, if they are not
in conflict with our values", and avoid being interpreted as "we don't
want enterprise-aimed features"?