Thunderbird Product Notes v0.6

Dan Mosedale dmose at mozilla.org
Wed Jul 14 22:42:59 UTC 2010

  "On 7/14/10 1:40 PM, Alan Lord (Gmail) wrote:
> On 14/07/10 20:46, Dan Mosedale wrote:
>>    A current version of this document can be found at
>> <https://wiki.mozilla.org/User:Dmose/Tb_Product_Notes>. Feel free to
>> comment in this tb-planning thread or on the wiki comment page.
>
> Thanks for these posts, interesting stuff.
You're welcome!
> One question if I may, or please tell me to go elsewhere, but why is
> the Market focus just SOHO?
 From a strategic point of view, the biggest conflict is in values
alignment:

"Individuals must have the ability to shape their own experiences on the
Internet."

Enterprise deployers generally value minimizing support burden
significantly more highly than (for example) allowing users to customize
their installation.  Additionally, enterprises value many features in
ways (eg calendaring) that are fundamentally very different than the
ways that end users tend to value them.

More operationally, a big motivation behind this statement is simply an
intent to focus.  Mozilla as an organization doesn't have significant
experience in working with the Enterprise sector, and Thunderbird as a
project has far too few active developers to do a good job with both
individual and enterprise features.
> What's up with going after the larger business sector? I'd love to see
> TB able to fit into more of a corporate environment and provide a
> decent, cross-platform, alternative to Outlook ...
While we don't feel we are in a position to include the enterprise in
the scope of the core product, there are people and organizations in the
Thunderbird community who are interested in this market, some of whom
are participating in the add-on ecosystem and some in maintaining older
branches of Thudnerbird for enterprise customers.

Some of them are small businesspeople, and others work for larger
players in the enterprise space (such as Red Hat).  The tb-enterprise
mailing list is a good place to get in contact with that group of people.

Dan