experience with/opinions on justification and CSS white-space properties in email?

Daniel Glazman daniel at glazman.org
Thu Jul 1 04:58:55 UTC 2010

Le 01/07/10 01:43, David Ascher a écrit :

> If they're using HTML email, then just choosing a monospace font won't
> affect TB's ability to send an email that's full-justified, right? If
> they're using plain-text (<pre>), then there are a lot of things that
> would look different.
>
> Can you summarize why the CSS-WG is proposing this change?

Sure. 'pre' and 'pre-wrap' mean preservation of all whitespaces
including tabs, CR and LF. Justification of such a text would then
imply distribution of available space to all existing embedded
whitespaces and that is exactly something <pre> prevents... So
'pre' and 'justify' are a bit antinomic here. We just want to make
sure you understand the issue.

I guess that your reactions mean:

1. we can go ahead

2. if you ever want to justify text in monospace i the future, you can
    switch to a <p style="font-family: monospace; text-align: justify">

</Daniel>