Thunderbird prefs redesign (aka mega-prefs)

Bryan Clark clarkbw at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 00:51:35 UTC 2010

On 10-12-28 1:28 PM, Bryan Clark wrote:
> * Final Thought! *
>
> Something I'd like people to think about and I'll try include this in
> my next rev of the mockup is creating a preference system that isn't
> just static controls.  For example the Screenshot of New Account
> Central [1] uses simple graphs to help people understand the
> information presented.  One tab I'm trying to work on right now is a
> "Disk Space" tab which helps people understand what accounts are using
> what kind of disk space and allows them to turn off sync inside those
> accounts.  Things like this are a bit more work inside XUL than they
> are in HTML just because most of the javascript graphing systems are
> expecting HTML and not XUL; it's not impossible just awkward.

Quick follow up with an update.  I did a quick prototype of a disk space
preference section to help describe what I was talking about.

This isn't very interactive or functional yet but I can keep working on
it to make it that way.  There is a lot that could be done to
interactively show how much space is being used by accounts and how much
(roughly) will be saved as options are changed.  I want to keep thinking
of a better preferences system in this way while we're also merging the
settings and preferences together.

(now on source control)
http://clarkbw.github.com/Thunderbird-Mega-Preferences/#disk-space

/Just want to note/ that I'm not arguing that this isn't possible in XUL
because I believe it is, just that I can easily get this mock-up working
in HTML but my XUL protovis experiment is having some errors to which
there isn't much help out there online or otherwise to fix it.

* Support Issues *

Another good step in our process should be to collect some data about
support issues with account settings and preferences.  What are users
having a hard time finding and what are they trying to work with the
most.  I added the Junk section because I see lots of support issues
with people finding and changing the junk behavior from mark to move.

Cheers,
~ Bryan