Thunderbird prefs redesign (aka mega-prefs)

Leni mozilla.org at zindus.com
Mon Dec 27 21:51:34 UTC 2010

On 27/12/2010 8:34 PM, Mark Banner wrote:
> Last I knew extension authors were encouraged to keep their preferences
> in separate windows to provide clarity and distinction (and hence
> avoiding cluttering the main prefernences).

Personally I've tried to the keep the number of knobs and dials in the
UI of the addon I work on to a minimum.  Most folk struggle to grok the
settings that are currently there.

With that said, my addon does have a lot of knobs and dials to deal with
edge cases and the whims of super-users.  Those folk I direct to the
preferences UI.

I've put a few settings in a dialog that lives behind an "advanced"
button.  And I get a lot of support queries about those settings.  What
I like about using the preferences UI for "advanced" addon settings is
that users mostly read the documentation before they start tweaking them.

Leni.