Thunderbird prefs redesign (aka mega-prefs)

Jim squibblyflabbetydoo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 19:20:10 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Joshua Cranmer <Pidgeot18 at verizon.net> wrote:
> On 12/26/2010 04:10 PM, Jim wrote:
>>
>> * Per-account prefs
>
> I don't know if this is in scope or not, but one thing I would dearly love
> is to be able to merge the account settings dialog with the standard
> preferences, as well as the various folder properties dialogs, since it
> makes hunting for the correct dialog a royal pain.

I'm not sure about folder properties since I don't know what the UI
would look like for them, but merging Account Settings and Preferences
is an explicit goal in this redesign. Folder properties would be good
too, but that might come later.

> However, keeping the links from the right-click menus in the folder
> pane would probably be a good idea.

In fact, I'd suggest adding the ability to control other prefs outside
of the actual preferences/account settings pages, or at least to link
to the right spot in the prefs. It would help people discover the
available options so they stop writing bug reports about things
Thunderbird already supports. :)

- Jim