Thunderbird prefs redesign (aka mega-prefs)

Jonathan Protzenko jonathan.protzenko at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 12:58:54 UTC 2010

On 12/26/10 11:37 PM, KaiRo - Robert Kaiser wrote:
> Jim schrieb:
>> I'm not sure if you can use XBL or XUL from inside HTML, so that might
>> make a difference in what we decide.
>
> It's at least hard. What is completely impossible in HTML is to allow
> add-ons to extend anything reasonably, as only XUL supports overlays
> right now (I'd be really happy if that would change, but nobody seems
> to have proposed an HTML overlay standard yet).
>
> Robert Kaiser
If the HTML is generated through a jquery-tmpl template, what about a
hook mechanism just like I described on
<http://blog.xulforum.org/index.php?post/2010/11/27/Thunderbird-Conversations-plugins>?
Addons could just add their own custom template through the "hook"
mechanism, and register themselves for generation through the main
jquery-tmpl loop.

As to the native look and feel in HTML, I believe it's feasible. This
has been discussed for Thunderbird Conversations, and there are a *lot*
of mozilla-only CSS properties, values and colors that make it feasible
to style HTML controls with the system colors. See the discussion at
https://github.com/protz/GMail-Conversation-View/issues#issue/189 and
all the values at
https://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/widget/public/nsILookAndFeel.h#51
in particular.

Besides, I tend to favor the HTML solution as it lowers the entry
barrier for potential contributors, but I think this issue has been
discussed at length already.

jonathan