Thunderbird prefs redesign (aka mega-prefs)

Mark Banner bugzilla at standard8.plus.com
Mon Dec 27 09:34:12 UTC 2010

On Mon Dec 27 02:54:28 2010, Jim wrote:
 > On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 8:59 PM, Leni<mozilla.org at zindus.com> wrote:
 >> On 27/12/2010 8:10 AM, Jim wrote:
 >>>
 >>> * Extensibility
 >>> Add-ons (e.g. Lightning) will probably want to put stuff in the
 >>> mega-prefs window, so we should make it easy to hook into. Not too
 >>> much to say here, really.
 >>
 >> Just wanted to raise the use case that it's nice for addon
developers to be
 >> able to describe to users how to get at and modify addon-specific
prefs in
 >> plain language.
 >
 > With an extensible preferences system, this is 100% up to the addon
 > developers. They can put things wherever they think makes sense for
 > their addons.

Last I knew extension authors were encouraged to keep their preferences
in separate windows to provide clarity and distinction (and hence
avoiding cluttering the main prefernences). Obviously there may be a few
situations where extending preferences alongside the existing ones make
sense and we should cater for that.

Mark.