Worthwhile Thunderbird projects/addons?

Bryan Clark clarkbw at gnome.org
Thu Dec 23 22:43:02 UTC 2010

On 10-12-20 9:56 PM, Jim wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 7:10 PM, Bryan Clark<clarkbw at gnome.org>  wrote:
>> Dragons!  But if you were to start on something like this I would give my
>> (new) standard recommendation.  Start with a tab and a browser element and
>> HTML.  We could then flatten all the preferences and account settings into a
>> single page with some accordion like expand collapse trickery.  This would
>> be slightly difficult work because it's full of crazy edge cases but you
>> could also transition the existing UI over as you implemented different
>> pieces.
> The only thing that concerns me about this plan is the "HTML" part.
> One of the things that always bothered me a little about the Gloda
> search UI was that it looked more like a webpage than something native
> to the OS. I suppose using HTML instead of XUL doesn't technically
> restrict how it looks, though it would make it more difficult to use
> XUL-only controls.
>
> There are some places where this works out (e.g. the ill-fated updates
> to account central and folders), but in general, I prefer UI that
> looks OS-native, since (in my non-scientific opinion), it has lower
> mental overhead and makes everything look like it fits together.
>
> Instinctively, I'd also keep the prefs and account settings separate,
> but that may just be because that's what I'm used to.

Here's a quick first try at the design I have been looking at. I only
started on the General and Writing tab but it's just to give a quick
demo of what could be done.

http://clarkbw.net/designs/mega-prefs/

Still lots more left to try, the all vs. some accounts selection isn't
purely experimental and needs a bunch more iterations.

Cheers,
~ Bryan