Gloda and large IMAP stores

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Thu Dec 23 09:40:52 UTC 2010

On 23.12.2010 05:14, Andrew Sutherland wrote:
> Gloda's correctness relies on hearing all of the modifications that
> happen to the message stores and being able to store some of its
> states on the message header representations in the .msf files.

Oh... I see. That sounds problematic, though. What if TB crashes between
writing msf and writing gloda?

> If Thunderbird roamed the .msf files but not the gloda database

(FWIW, the proposal was to put all Cache files in Local. That includes
IMAPMail. Not sure about Local Folders.)

> the result would be incorrect gloda databases as each gloda database
> would have missed out on various notifications and would hear
> confusing lies from the .msf files.  There are things we could do to
> compensate for this

Yes, for example a log, as in journaling file systems. You write down in
some meta-file how far you came with writing things to the other store.
It can be as "simple" as writing two "last modification to msf files"
and "last modification to gloda" in 2 files, as strictly increasing integer.

If you get that wrong, you are no worse than a crash now.

Ben