Gloda and large IMAP stores

Andrew Sutherland asutherland at asutherland.org
Thu Dec 23 04:14:16 UTC 2010

On 12/22/2010 09:17 AM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
>> 3) Gloda databases and roaming storage.  This is a flat-out difficult
>> problem.
>
> Why is it difficult? I think Tanstaafl is talking about Windows
> roaming profiles. Windows has 2 ApplicationData profile folders, one
> that roams (the default) and one that doesn't (the "Local" one).
> Mozilla directory service supports both, so it's just a matter of
> changing the default gloda location.

Gloda's correctness relies on hearing all of the modifications that
happen to the message stores and being able to store some of its states
on the message header representations in the .msf files.  If Thunderbird
roamed the .msf files but not the gloda database, the result would be
incorrect gloda databases as each gloda database would have missed out
on various notifications and would hear confusing lies from the .msf
files.  There are things we could do to compensate for this, but that's
where the "difficult" comes in.

Andrew