Worthwhile Thunderbird projects/addons?

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Tue Dec 21 13:32:53 UTC 2010

On 2010-12-20 8:26 PM, Andrew Sutherland wrote:
> These are likely to also have serious long-term benefits because a lot
> of new functionality is being built/planned to be built on-top of
> gloda.  (And even if/when we move gloda to perform sharding for various
> reasons, all of this logic will still be necessary.)

I'd like to hear thoughts on how GLODA can interact in a more rational
manner with very large IMAP stores.

I have multiple IMAP accounts, most with 10+GB of mail in each. This
results in a HUGE performance hit when an account is first setup unless
I disable GLODA completely, as well as a huge resultant GLODA index file
that is stored in the roaming profile by default which is a non-starter
for corporations that don't use redirected folders...

What I'd like to see is the IMAP stores moved to the Local Folders by
default, and I'd like for GLODA to have a separate index file for each
account... which could then be 'linked' to provide seamless searching
across all accounts.

I would also like to see some kind of GLODA option for indexing only the
*full* *including custom) headers, since I rarely do body searches.

Then, I'd love to see some discussion between TB devs and Timo (the
dovecot developer) on how to best work together to provide fast body
search capabilities without having to have a full local mirror of the
entire IMAP store (could work with the above GLODA headers only option)
- like, maybe, creation of a new 'special' folder on the IMAP server for
storing things like sqlite databases (GLODA indexes, Address
Books/Contacts, etc). I do realize this would be specific to one IMAP
server, but I honestly believe that server-side indexing - like server
side filtering - is the wave of the future, seeing as how huge IMAP
based mail stores are getting more and more prevalent these days (as a
result of how cheap storage is I guess)...