Worthwhile Thunderbird projects/addons?

Joshua Cranmer Pidgeot18 at verizon.net
Tue Dec 21 17:49:51 UTC 2010

On 12/21/2010 12:03 PM, Kent James wrote:
> On 12/20/2010 10:02 PM, Jim wrote:
>> I'd be especially interested in working on
>> something new, since 1) it adds breadth to the experiments/addons, and
>> 2) it means I get to work on the fun stuff.
> Let me introduce you to some work I have been quietly doing in the
> last few weeks, as it is meant as a demonstration project hoping
> someone might take an interest in it.
>
> There have not been new account types added to TB since RSS was added
> years ago. It is not currently practical to do this in js, as Joshua
> Cranmer discovered in a series of blog posts on the subject that he
> ultimately abandoned.
I haven't abandoned them, I just ran into time commitments that
prohibited me from doing further work on them.

But honestly, we definitely need a simpler layer for the creation of new
account types. The approach I've been attempting (enable you to subclass
the accounts from JavaScript) appears to have some pernicious stability
problems, most of them related to the need to be able to override
QueryInterface.

My current idea for a long-term solution is to create an extension hook
which would let people create new account types without struggling
through implementing the three to six objects (with a slew of
underdocumented interfaces) that they need to now, and which would also
shield them from larger backend refactorings.

--
Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth