Worthwhile Thunderbird projects/addons?

Jim squibblyflabbetydoo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 05:56:37 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 7:10 PM, Bryan Clark <clarkbw at gnome.org> wrote:
> Dragons!  But if you were to start on something like this I would give my
> (new) standard recommendation.  Start with a tab and a browser element and
> HTML.  We could then flatten all the preferences and account settings into a
> single page with some accordion like expand collapse trickery.  This would
> be slightly difficult work because it's full of crazy edge cases but you
> could also transition the existing UI over as you implemented different
> pieces.

The only thing that concerns me about this plan is the "HTML" part.
One of the things that always bothered me a little about the Gloda
search UI was that it looked more like a webpage than something native
to the OS. I suppose using HTML instead of XUL doesn't technically
restrict how it looks, though it would make it more difficult to use
XUL-only controls.

There are some places where this works out (e.g. the ill-fated updates
to account central and folders), but in general, I prefer UI that
looks OS-native, since (in my non-scientific opinion), it has lower
mental overhead and makes everything look like it fits together.

Instinctively, I'd also keep the prefs and account settings separate,
but that may just be because that's what I'm used to.

> * Update address book backend to support SQLite (may be a big project)
> * Update address book UI
>
> I think these two are one in the same because you really need to start with
> a new storage system to have more than two email addresses, etc.

That's what I was afraid of. Updating the address books is pretty
important to me, but it's also big enough that I don't know if I'd
have time to finish it before I got sick of it. ;) In more general
terms, this is probably one of the things keeping people from doing
some of the bigger projects, like implementing Sieve. I'm not sure of
a good way to fix this, though.

- Jim