Worthwhile Thunderbird projects/addons?

Dan Mosedale dmose at mozillamessaging.com
Tue Dec 21 00:08:29 UTC 2010

On 12/20/10 3:37 PM, Jim wrote:
> Lately, I've been feeling the itch to contribute to Thunderbird in
> some "significant" way, though I'm rapidly running out of things I can
> think of to do (the last thing I've got is bug 282068 to fix up the
> attachment pane in the message reader). I wouldn't be surprised if
> there are other people in the same situation as me, so maybe it would
> be a good idea for people to suggest worthwhile projects/addons for
> Thunderbird.

Have you seen <https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:UX/Priorities>?
This might be just what you're looking for, and, if not, I'd be
interested to understand what's different about it than what you're
looking for...

> By way of example, here are a couple of ideas I've had, although I
> have no idea if they're things people would really care about:
>
> * Reorganize account settings / preferences

I think there is some interest in this, in large part because the
existing setup is fairly byzantine.  I'm not sure what Bryan's thinking
here is...

> * Update address book backend to support SQLite (may be a big project)

Indeed, another worthy goal.  Joshua has taken a run at this in the
past.  He can probably point you at more details as well as the current
status.

> * Update address book UI

This one is definitely worthwhile, but the current suspicion is that
trying to further contort the UI around the existing backend is going to
be lower value than just looking wholesale at other approaches.  Have a
look at the Contacts add-on on mozillalabs.com for an example of one
possibility.

> Does anyone else have ideas for high-value projects for Thunderbird?

Let me know what you think about the stuff on that UX priorities page...

Dan