Omnijar enabled for trunk - default builds switch to "flat" chrome

Mark Banner mbanner at mozillamessaging.com
Wed Dec 15 08:58:58 UTC 2010

Just a quick note to say that I've just landed the switch to omnijar on
trunk. I'll be blogging about this later today.

However, the main thing to note for people building Thunderbird is that
the default chrome format has been switched from jar to flat. This means
that the chrome files will not be zipped into jars, but symlinked on
Mac, Linux and copied on Windows.

I'm not sure if a clobber is necessary, but it will at least clean out
the old .jar files from your chrome directory.

More information here: https://developer.mozilla.org/en/JAR_Packaging

 From people I've spoken to it is better to develop with flat chrome as
you basically just need to restart Thunderbird to pick up UI changes
rather than restarting with a make step in-between.

If you do for some reason want to keep building with the jar format,
then you can just add:

ac_add_options --enable-chrome-format=jar

to your .mozconfig.

Mark.