Stopping Thunderbird 3.0 / comm-1.9.1 builds

Mark Banner mbanner at mozillamessaging.com
Tue Dec 14 13:59:37 UTC 2010

On 10/12/2010 12:28, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2010-12-10 7:20 AM, Mark Banner wrote:
>> There are only a small amount of nightly users left on the 3.0.x branch,
>> and as a result, it is not really worth the effort of doing a special
>> major update. We will however, replace the start and what's new pages
>> with directions on where to get newer versions of Thunderbird.
> Imho, one of the primary reasons users are reluctant to upgrade from
> 3.0.x to 3.1.x is the loss of the old quickfilter searchbox, which was
> replaced by the new Quick Filter Toolbar.
I probably didn't make it quite clear enough, but I was actually
discussing about making nightly users aware of the update and how to
update. At the moment nightly users on the 3.0.x branch have never had a
prompt to update to 3.1 or later, and we're just looking at the easiest
way to make that happen.

So at this stage, it isn't a matter of if they are reluctant or not,
this is simply a matter of getting a couple of hundred people informed
that the builds they are using are coming to an end.
>   (If you disagree, what other
> reason, really, could there be? What other major change exists between
> the two that would be a 'blocker' for people?)
I think there are many reasons why people haven't upgraded so far: For
instance, some people just don't update straight away or keep up to date
- as of last week, only about half the users remaining on 3.0 were on
the latest security release; Linux distributions have tended to keep
their users on one release branch for a particular version of a
distribution (although we've got at least some of them updating to 3.1
at the moment now that 3.0 is EOL); we also know that companies don't
tend to update straight away for various reasons; and there are probably
lots more reasons about.

Mark.