Thunderbird Conversations : feedback wanted!

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Tue Dec 7 01:34:34 UTC 2010

On 01.12.2010 10:42, Andrew Sutherland wrote:
>> Another option: Given that most gloda databases should be in the
>> 10-100MB range (mine is 600 MB, but it's a big mailbox), and many
>> machines today have 2+GB RAM *, is it possible to somehow tell the OS
>> to pre-cache certain parts of gloda into RAM disk cache?
> [...]
> There is a SQLite option that reads as much of the database from the
> start of the database and throws it into cache at startup (which we
> may already be using), but that won't get us much with a highly
> internally fragmented database.

If I understand you correctly, that's what I am suggesting.

I thought that you could possibly select only certain hot parts of the
DB, e.g. the message headers only, not the body and the fulltext index,
but you answered comprehensibly that this is not feasible in sqlite.
Even if we cache the whole DB, given above numbers, it may still help
(assuming it's in the background, after app start).

> In terms of when gloda will get these structural changes, I'm
> currently still focusing on the UI stuff that can leverage gloda's
> existing capabilities before overhauling gloda.

Yes, indeed, that's where it's most needed atm. We have this awesome DB
and barely use it! :)

Also, thanks, protz, for prototyping a conversations view!

Ben