Thunderbird mailing-list / NNTP decision rationale

Wayne Mery (vn) vseerror at Lehigh.EDU
Thu Aug 12 18:41:58 UTC 2010

On 8/12/2010 8:02 AM, Andrew Sutherland wrote:
> On 08/12/2010 04:28 AM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
>> How *do* you determine which features are important to keep? If the
>> decision is removing important existing functionality or
>> characteristics, and/or known to upset big (>5%) user groups, I would
>> hope that there is an objective method to arrive at the conclusion -
>> more than "the maintainers feel that...".
>
> dmose wrote up a very nice product notes draft that you can find here
> (and previously mentioned by dmose in tb-planning):
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/User:Dmose/Tb_Product_Notes
>
> To my understanding, that is the basis we will be using for decision
> making about such things. The important note is that there are currently
> no plans to remove anything! My mention of NNTP is just an attempt to be
> forthright about the implications of the above document and the limited
> manpower on hand. Since it sounds like Joshua is dedicated to the
> continuity of news in mailnews, even that hypothetical scenario seems moot.
>
> Andrew

indeed the bar for removal is high.

To point out the obvious, this subthread provides one a shining example
of what sucks about "news/discussion groups via email" (instead of
newsgroup), namely, the inability to kill the (sub)thread.  So in that
respect, I applaud dmose's goal of improving email capabilities along
the lines already outlined (_and beyond I hope_), and the dogfood
argument for helping drive those improvements.

(and no, I don't want NNTP to go away)