Thunderbird mailing-list / NNTP decision rationale

Andrew Sutherland asutherland at asutherland.org
Thu Aug 12 12:02:21 UTC 2010

  On 08/12/2010 04:28 AM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> How *do* you determine which features are important to keep? If the
> decision is removing important existing functionality or
> characteristics, and/or known to upset big (>5%) user groups, I would
> hope that there is an objective method to arrive at the conclusion -
> more than "the maintainers feel that...".

dmose wrote up a very nice product notes draft that you can find here
(and previously mentioned by dmose in tb-planning):
https://wiki.mozilla.org/User:Dmose/Tb_Product_Notes

To my understanding, that is the basis we will be using for decision
making about such things.  The important note is that there are
currently no plans to remove anything!  My mention of NNTP is just an
attempt to be forthright about the implications of the above document
and the limited manpower on hand.  Since it sounds like Joshua is
dedicated to the continuity of news in mailnews, even that hypothetical
scenario seems moot.

Andrew