Thunderbird mailing-list / NNTP decision rationale

Andrew Sutherland asutherland at asutherland.org
Thu Aug 12 04:07:00 UTC 2010

  On 08/09/2010 09:56 PM, Unicorn.Consulting wrote:
>  On 10/08/2010 6:07 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
>>
>> If the Mozilla devs *all* truly feel this way, then they should simply
>> remove NNTP functionality from TB completely - in which case I'd be
>> *really* pissed... ;)
a message is better suited to
http://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_messaging/products/mozilla_thunderbird,
or more traditionally, the mozilla.dev.apps.thunderbird list/newsgroup.

I think we should be moderating out all messages of the form "If
Thunderbird drops feature X, I'm switching to Y" because they do not
actually help move us forward; at best, I think they have the chance to
start a small "me too" subthread of complaints or a minor flame war.  I
think everyone involved with Thunderbird understands that for every
feature Thunderbird has that there is a group of users who use that
feature and will be upset if the feature is changed or removed.  I
understand it to be a non-goal of this mailing list to provide a voice
to every one of those users to make their number and favorite features
known.

We do care what features people use and how they use them, but that is
why we are trying to move forward with Test Pilot (
https://testpilot.mozillalabs.com/ ) for Thunderbird.  So we can have
detailed and machine-tallied usage statistics without use our planning
channels as a statistically invalid impromptu survey.

If anyone has any questions about the goals and rules of this mailing
list, please see here:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/tb-planning

Andrew