Thunderbird mailing-list / NNTP decision rationale

Joshua Cranmer Pidgeot18 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 02:47:31 UTC 2010

  On 08/09/2010 10:00 PM, Andrew Sutherland wrote:
> Right now, Joshua Cranmer is the news sub-module owner.  I am under
> the impression that he has a limited amount of time available and so
> the continuity of the current news implementation is not completely
> assured.  If someone else magically appears to help out Joshua, the
> current low probability of removal could be further reduced.
Rest assured that keeping NNTP alive would rank highly on my priority
list :-) .
> The good news is that one of the things Joshua is spending his time on
> is a way for JS extensions to implement account types which would
> reduce the maintenance burden for news.
No matter the implementation mechanism, the cost of converting the news
backend to JS would be extremely high, at least for the forseeable
future. Given that IMAP and POP are not likely to be rewritable in JS in
the same timespan anyways, there really isn't much added burden to
keeping NNTP in the same backend format as those two formats.

--
Joshua Cranmer
News submodule owner