Thunderbird mailing-list / NNTP decision rationale

Bryan Clark clarkbw at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 01:10:15 UTC 2010

  On 09/08/10 2:20 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> Blake Winton wrote:
>> My understanding of the decision is that we're not using nntp on
>> purpose, because our users aren't, and we want to make Thunderbird a
>> better program for them. (Not that we're not using nntp because we
>> can't set it up. I'm pretty sure we could do that if we wanted. ;)
>>
>> I suppose if more and more of our users end up using mailman, and
>> its nntp interface, then we can start exploring how to give that a
>> better interface, but that seems like it will be a ways off.
> I truly don't understand this attitude.
This isn't an attitude or a political statement and I don't think anyone
is out to remove NNTP.  I'm reading your messages as suggesting that and
I don't think any of that is true at all.

 From my point of view this is simply a strategy and it's a pretty
simple, yet likely effective one.

I would summarize the strategy as this (This is me trying to summarize
Dan's words):

* Most of the "messaging user base" is not using NNTP (Mailing Lists,
Yahoo! Groups, Google Groups, forums, social networks, blogs etc)
** And I think it's important to note what systems are increasing in
share and what systems are decreasing in share
* Our group communication experience leaves a lot to be desired (I think
Dan's first message sought out this question "NNTP and
thunderbird-related lists")

I'm not sure that summary is 100% correct but it's how I'm looking at
things right now.

To move forward on this strategy we can start using only Mailing Lists
to force ourselves to eat our own dog food and experience what many of
our users who don't have NNTP access are experiencing.  Hopefully this
springs forward innovation in how Thunderbird handles Mailing Lists for
our users.

Cheers,
~ Bryan