Thunderbird mailing-list / NNTP decision rationale

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Mon Aug 9 21:20:55 UTC 2010

Blake Winton wrote:
> My understanding of the decision is that we're not using nntp on
> purpose, because our users aren't, and we want to make Thunderbird a
> better program for them. (Not that we're not using nntp because we
> can't set it up. I'm pretty sure we could do that if we wanted. ;)
>
> I suppose if more and more of our users end up using mailman, and
> its nntp interface, then we can start exploring how to give that a
> better interface, but that seems like it will be a ways off.

I truly don't understand this attitude.

If simply clicking an check-box option in your list server software will
allow the best of both worlds - mailing list interface for those who
want a mailing list, and nntp access for those who want nntp access, and
this can be done *transparently* - so that everyone is still interacting
together with their preferred front-end... well, I just don't see what
the gripe is.

If you want to make a political statement about nntp, then remove the
code from the program - but don't be surprised at the backlash if you
do. I guarantee I'll scream a whole lot louder than I did at the
introduction of non-disablable Archiving, Non-disablable Tab bar, and
the loss of the simple quickfilter searchbox replaced by a huge toolbar.