Thunderbird mailing-list / NNTP decision rationale

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Mon Aug 9 20:37:04 UTC 2010

On 2010-08-09 11:14 AM, Robert Kaiser <KaiRo at KaiRo.at> wrote:
> Well, I think you misunderstand, Dan said at the beginning of this
> thread that it's *intentional* NOT to provide NNTP access to the
> Thunderbird lists as he thinks NNTP has to die for good because the
> people Thunderbird targets don't use it anyhow.

No, I didn't misunderstand, I (and others) just disagree - I've been
using it for newsgroup access for many years.

> Well, this might be overdoing the "NNTP has to die" part slightly, but
> it's dead-on for at least the rest. I don't see from that perspective
> how mailman supporting NNTP access changes anything for that POV.

It doesn't - it just provides the ability for a possible change of mind
in the future is all...

Personally, I think it is ridiculous to provide the nntp functionality,
then turn around and say such things.

If the Mozilla devs *all* truly feel this way, then they should simply
remove NNTP functionality from TB completely - in which case I'd be
*really* pissed... ;)