Thunderbird mailing-list / NNTP decision rationale

Blake Winton bwinton at latte.ca
Mon Aug 9 16:24:50 UTC 2010

On 10-08-09 10:06 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
>> I'm not sure that solves the problem, though, as MailMan is not easy to
>> set up either and doesn't run at most companies.
> I think you misunderstood...
>
> Mozilla currently uses mailman to host its mail lists...
>
> So all this would be needed to add nntp support for any/all of the
> mozilla email lists is for Mozilla to upgrade their server(s) to MM3
> once it is out, and enable the feature - users need not do anything
> (except switch to using a newsreader if they so desire - again, assuming
> that posting support will be available)...

I don't see how that helps us provide a better mailing list experience
for our users, given that more of them are using mailing lists than
newsgroups…

My understanding of the decision is that we're not using nntp on
purpose, because our users aren't, and we want to make Thunderbird a
better program for them.  (Not that we're not using nntp because we
can't set it up.  I'm pretty sure we could do that if we wanted.  ;)

I suppose if more and more of our users end up using mailman, and its
nntp interface, then we can start exploring how to give that a better
interface, but that seems like it will be a ways off.

Later,
Blake.