Thunderbird mailing-list / NNTP decision rationale

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Mon Aug 9 14:06:22 UTC 2010

Ben Bucksch wrote:
>>> Which will not be a problem when MM3 ships, since it will provide native
>>> nntp access to its archives...

>> MM3 being ... what?

> MailMan, version 3.0.
>
> I'm not sure that solves the problem, though, as MailMan is not easy to
> set up either and doesn't run at most companies.

??

I think you misunderstood...

Mozilla currently uses mailman to host its mail lists...

So all this would be needed to add nntp support fofr any/all of the
mozilla email lists is for Mozilla to upgrade their server(s) to MM3
once it is out, and enable the feature - users need not do anything
(except switch to using a newsreader if they so desire - again, assuming
that posting support will be available)...

Also - mailman is *very* easy to set up, for sysadmins at least (if *I*
can install it and get it working properly, any sysadmin can... ;)