Thunderbird mailing-list / NNTP decision rationale

Karsten Düsterloh mnyromyr at tprac.de
Wed Aug 4 11:43:14 UTC 2010

Dan Mosedale wrote:
> At
> <https://wiki.mozilla.org/index.php?title=User:Dmose/Tb_Product_Notes>,
> we've said that we're targeting individual and SOHO (Small Office /
> Home  Office) users.  We've also said that we'll be doing this by
> "focusing on conversations that occur over mainstream and emerging
> communication channels. These include email, web forums, social
> networks, and microblogging services."

I derive from that you seem to consider NNTP neither mainstream nor
emerging?

> While it makes a lot of sense for us as the development community to
> enjoy the benefits of the NNTP experience today, it is also acting as a
> crutch: because we're not eating our own dogfood, it's preventing us
> from having a deeper understanding of how those problems feel to our users.

So basically you want to annoy (voluntary!) devs to make them fix other
nuisances?! That's a pretty odd concept for an open source project.
I don't think this will work well; it definitely will not work for/with
me...

I still think I somehow must have misunderstood something here...

Karsten