NNTP and thunderbird-related lists

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Mon Aug 2 16:55:00 UTC 2010

  On 31.07.2010 21:02, Robert Kaiser wrote:
>> In general, current Thunderbird thinking is that we try to "design the
>> experience to help the user solve a problem and abstract away the
>> transport layer".
>
> Maybe that's one of the reasons why I tend to have a large problem...
> It looks like we have a case of somewhat radically different views on
> the same subject here

To his defense, that has always been the philosophy of Netscape, Mozilla
and Mailnews. Very explicitly and intentionally so. It's not specific to
Thunderbird.

ftp in Netscape Navigator is browsed just like a webpage, you don't use
a shell-like "ls" UI. That seems natural today, but it's not a matter of
course, it was an invention back then, and it helped lots of users.

Similarly, the fact that we show NTTP and POP and IMAP all in the same
3pane UI seems natural today, but is an instance of the very same design
philosophy.

I don't think we should design the UI around the protocol. Whether it's
NTTP or IMAP or webforum doesn't matter. But the UI should indeed single
out certain criteria that you mentioned: one-to-one vs. one-to-many vs.
many-to-many are different kinds of communications, have subtle
implications like importance and should be handled slightly differently.

> But here we surely grow very much off-topic on the current discussion

Indeed. I just wanted to point this out.