NNTP and thunderbird-related lists

Simon Paquet sipaq at gmx.de
Sun Aug 1 12:19:41 UTC 2010

On 30.07.2010 21:15, Dan Mosedale wrote:
>> - POP3 or IMAP servers are much slower in downloading a larger number of
>> messages than a dedicated NNTP server. So I have to wait much longer
>> to take a look at the contents of a mailing list compared to a newsgroup.
 >
> That's an interesting point. I wasn't aware that that was true these
> days. More to the point though, are there any Thunderbird mailing lists
> (particularly tb-planning and tb-enterprise, but, really, any at all)
> that have enough volume that this is noticable? If so, which ones, and
> what lengths of delays are you referring to?

Well, I mostly notice it, because my tb-planning mails go over the mail
address that's also my bugmail account. So the total volume of mails is
pretty large over a week and it's definitely noticeable, that my
newsserver serves me at least 3 to 4 times as many news postings in the
same time that I need to download my mails.

>> - Due to my day job (consultant) I have to read mail and newsgroups
>> through web interfaces throughout the work week. Generally NNTP web
 >> interfaces like www.newsoffice.de do a much better job in terms of
 >> presenting threads and conversations than the webmailer of my mail
 >> provider.
 >
> Interesting; I wasn't aware of www.newsoffice.de. Does Google Groups
> work for you as a web interface?

It's not up to par with newsoffice in terms of threading and
highlingting of my own messages with Google.

>> - I use dedicated tools at home that inform me when someone has
>> replied to a post of mine in a newsgroup. That way I can prioritize
 >> these kinds of conversations. I haven't found a tool that does that
 >> for my mailreader TB.
 >
> What sort of notification mechanism does it use to inform you?

I use a FQDN (fully qualified domain name) in the Message-IDs for my
posts. The tool is configured to alert me to all messages that reply to
my posts.

 > If someone wrote an add-on that made the "Watch" feature work for
 > email, do you think that would that be good enough?

No idea. I'd need to have a look at it.

Cya
Simon