Thunderbird market segments

Dan Mosedale dmose at mozilla.org
Thu Apr 29 23:02:40 UTC 2010

  On 4/29/10 3:57 PM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
>  On 30.04.2010 00:51, Dan Mosedale wrote:
>>  On 4/29/10 3:33 PM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
>>> Is that guy correct that TB people don't want him? If not, could we
>>> please give him a different impression/feeling, that he'd be
>>> welcome, and get the ball rolling? If he's right, what's the reason?
>> I think the Tb people aren't yet sure what we want, and I think
>> that's what we've communicated with him, but it's conceivable he came
>> away with a different impression of our discussions.
>>
>> To clarify, we believe that having a good mail composition
>> environment for both plain text and HTML mail is indeed an important
>> long-term goal.  We're not at all convinced, however, that continuing
>> to iterate on the existing XUL-based compose window is a reasonable
>> strategy to get us to that goal.  Furthermore, adding yet another
>> standalone project Kompozer to comm-central entrains two other
>> significant issues: governance (Kompozer isn't an official Mozilla
>> project), and coordination costs (tension between Tb and Sm around
>> branching related things is already non-trivial; adding more projects
>> makes that problem worse).
>>
>> Until we make the time to lay down our composition strategy (which
>> isn't likely to be immediate), sorting through the other issues
>> doesn't make a lot of sense.
>
> OK, I would take home as "not too enthusiastic" as well.
>
> If you don't want the resources or plan, and there's somebody willing
> to take the job, then why not let him? That's what open-source is about.

Because of the aforementioned governance and coordination issues that
need to be worked through.   In the abstract, I think they are worth
working through.  But I wouldn't prioritize that work above the things
currently on the plates of existing project leadership.

You're quite right that there is risk with not moving forward on this
quickly, and I currently believe that it's the right risk to take.

Dan