Thunderbird market segments

Dan Mosedale dmose at mozilla.org
Thu Apr 29 22:51:37 UTC 2010

  On 4/29/10 3:33 PM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> Is that guy correct that TB people don't want him? If not, could we
> please give him a different impression/feeling, that he'd be welcome,
> and get the ball rolling? If he's right, what's the reason?
I think the Tb people aren't yet sure what we want, and I think that's
what we've communicated with him, but it's conceivable he came away with
a different impression of our discussions.

To clarify, we believe that having a good mail composition environment
for both plain text and HTML mail is indeed an important long-term
goal.  We're not at all convinced, however, that continuing to iterate
on the existing XUL-based compose window is a reasonable strategy to get
us to that goal.  Furthermore, adding yet another standalone project
Kompozer to comm-central entrains two other significant issues:
governance (Kompozer isn't an official Mozilla project), and
coordination costs (tension between Tb and Sm around branching related
things is already non-trivial; adding more projects makes that problem
worse).

Until we make the time to lay down our composition strategy (which isn't
likely to be immediate), sorting through the other issues doesn't make a
lot of sense.

Dan