Thunderbird market segments

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Thu Apr 29 01:00:38 UTC 2010

  On 29.04.2010 01:31, JoeS wrote:
> On 4/27/2010 9:30 AM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
>> If the technies despise us (a very good and quick way to achieve
>> utter hatred by techies is to encourage HTML mail, because it affects
>> recipients), they will not cheer for us. Their cheering is essential
>> in the word-of-mouth for private users and even for
>> small and big company rollouts. So, this target group is essential to
>> keep.
>
> I feel obliged to reply to this, as I know it will not cause a "flame
> war" here.

"Plain text vs. HTML" is a classic flame war topic. Please leave that
sleeping dog lie, it's one of the most aggressive dogs that exist in the
mail/news scene. My side note was a faint hint to point out exactly
that. We have a very good compromise that most parties can live with:
You can create HTML mail (with bugs, see below), but we would in no case
default to it *, and we'll warn about the implications.

I do agree that the HTML editor has many bugs which are simply stupid
and unnecessary. Peter Lairo is tireless in pointing two of them out, my
pet bug is when I edit quotes crossing several quote levels, it annoys
me to no ends, every day. These can and should be fixed, and the
SeaMonkey guys told me some guy who forked the HTML editor code years
ago would be happy to not only merge his changes back to us but also
take over the HTML editor and continue to fix bugs. I'd be happy about
that.

Generally, please consider one thing, though: Once we have to fight
against Outlook sending MSIE-flavor HTML, and people demanding that it
works (with the same "business, works there, you have to" arguments that
you used), we have a serious problem. And not just us. That's why,
strategically, HTML mail is best avoided and discouraged.
(I'll cut out all the other reasons, to avoid said flamewar.)

> Personally, I think that if you send HTML, then you must understand
> some HTML, as well as CSS.

Well, that's not realistic, though. And that's the problem.

Ben