Thunderbird market segments

JoeS joesab2005 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 23:40:32 UTC 2010

  On 4/27/2010 9:30 AM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> the techies are important, because they are potential contributors and more importantly give mind-share. Average Joes listen to the techies when they recommend something. If the technies despise us (a very good and quick way to achieve utter hatred by
> techies is to encourage     HTML mail, because it affects recipients), they will not cheer for us.
Opps, sorry Ben, for sending that last to your personal email.

I feel obliged to reply to this, as I know it will not cause a "flame war" here.
100% of all corporate email that I receive is in plaintext & html I think this is a very common scenario given that most
corporate environments use Outlook or some other MS agent.
Replying "in kind" is very important for business contacts, especially if it contributes directly to the impression of a
prospective client.

This _is_ a user-centric need that has been ignored for a very long time, and I would argue that those techie types who
cling to the plaintext culture, are not much benefit to alleviating the problems in HTML composition and editing.

Just take a look at the "stale" condition of the HTML editor, as an example. (Certainly _does_ discourage HTML mail)
And I guess one could easily conclude, that this is purposeful
.
Thunderbird could be the leader here, since we can produce much cleaner, less bloated code than MS products which now
use msword to generate their HTML. (But try telling a TB user that pretty much everything you do in HTML compose requires
a work-around, or actually directly editing the HTML, and see how far that goes)

Personally, I think that if you send HTML, then you must understand some HTML, as well as CSS.
And of course you must always be aware of the recipients capabilities, as well as his expectations.

For many prospective TB user, learning HTML just to use TB to answer email "in kind", is not an option.