Sunset Plan for Thunderbird 2.0.0.x

Dan Mosedale dmose at mozilla.org
Wed Apr 28 20:37:22 UTC 2010

  On 4/28/10 12:05 PM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> There are big organizations which are using 2.0 and don't see
> themselves deploying 3.x any time soon. There needs to be a plan for
> them. Leaving them insecure is not a good plan.

Our hope is that most organizations will be willing to make the jump to
3.1.  That said, as with any transition, there are undoubtedly some that
won't.

The current plan is to create a tb-enterprise mailing list this week so
that folks interested in deploying in this space have a place to discuss
a variety of issues related to larger deployments, and this would be
very much on-topic.
> I'd jump in with and help that, but my funding is running out.
> Is *somebody* (Redhat?) still maintaining the underlying Gecko with
> security fixes?
I'm not sure; I suspect that if anyone is, dveditz who would know who.
> If not, would it be crazy to try to port TB 2.0 app code to Gecko
> 1.9.3? Well, yeah, of course it would. I mean: would it be feasible?
I don't know.  If it did work, it would have the advantage of being
significantly more secure than a Tb2.0 running on Gecko 1.8.1.

Dan