Sunset Plan for Thunderbird 2.0.0.x

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Wed Apr 28 19:05:41 UTC 2010

  On 28.04.2010 20:55, Dan Mosedale wrote:
> To be more specific, our current hope is not to support Thunderbird
> 3.0.x for too long after we ship Thunderbird 3.1, but rather to
> upgrade all of our 3.0.x users to 3.1.x fairly quickly, in large part
> because the set of changes between 3.0 and 3.1 is relatively small.
>
> That does, however, depend on a some externalities, such as 3.1.x user
> feedback as well as how quickly add-on authors make their 3.0.x addons
> compatible with 3.1.

I don't think the lifetime of 3.0 is a problem, I don't think many
people will shed tears over 3.0.
There are big organizations which are using 2.0 and don't see themselves
deploying 3.x any time soon. There needs to be a plan for them. Leaving
them insecure is not a good plan.

I'd jump in with and help that, but my funding is running out.
Is *somebody* (Redhat?) still maintaining the underlying Gecko with
security fixes?
If not, would it be crazy to try to port TB 2.0 app code to Gecko 1.9.3?
Well, yeah, of course it would. I mean: would it be feasible?

Ben