Thunderbird market segments

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Tue Apr 27 13:30:53 UTC 2010

  On 27.04.2010 02:05, Kent James wrote:
>  I want to try to summarize what I am hearing from people, rather than
> focus on a point-by-point commentary or rebuttal that would result in
> the kind of pointless long-winded discussion that this list is
> supposed to be preventing.
>
> First, let me point out that the only agreed market segmentation is
> the "individual" versus the "enterprise". Personally I don't think
> that is enough granularity to help truly understand direction, but I'm
> not sure continuing that discussion is worthwhile.

My feeling of this is:
We are targetted at average users. Not the totally novice clueless "I
just want my mail !!!!" users, but our core target group are neither the
hard-core techies. Just the average Joe, mom and dad, with a reasonable
intelligence, basic understanding of computers and GUIs, from almost all
age groups.

There are many open-source MUAs which target the techies, mutt to
mention one. There are not many few open-source MUAs which target
average users, and in many cases, we're the only viable open-source
option. That said, the techies are important, because they are potential
contributors and more importantly give mind-share. Average Joes listen
to the techies when they recommend something. If the technies despise us
(a very good and quick way to achieve utter hatred by techies is to
encourage HTML mail, because it affects recipients), they will not cheer
for us. Their cheering is essential in the word-of-mouth for private
users and even for small and big company rollouts. So, this target group
is essential to keep. We currently have a good size of the techie users,
and that's good.

(Also, as said, some features like speed of IMAP folders with 10,000
messages, or hidden prefs, are good for both power users and enterprises.)

So, what results from that is: Make a client which is very intuitive to
use, with a clean, nice UI and powerful, discoverable universal features
which get out of the way when not needed, but can be trivially and
naturally found when needed and applied for multiple problems. Make it
powerful to grow to increasing user needs as people progress, up to the
power users. This is hard, but possible 90% of the time, you need to
find elegant, natural solutions, but that's what makes a client great.

(And, given the many requirements that a single client for 3000 users
(both novice and power users) needs to fulfill, that's often needed for
enterprise rollouts, too.)

This is what Thunderbird should be (and, with limitations, is): A client
enjoyable and useful for normal users, allowing them to communicate and
work with fun and speed/ease, with a nice, welcoming UI, and serving
users up to power users.

Ben