Thunderbird market segments

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Mon Apr 26 17:55:32 UTC 2010

  On 26.04.2010 19:18, Kent James wrote:
> do you think it would be fair to way that there are really two segments?

I think there are 4 basic market segments:

    * private users, mom and dad
    * private user, techie
    * small companies
    * big (>1000 seats) companies

And these have very different needs.

> One is driven primarily by cost of the email client, and the other by
> a philosophy (or requirement) of using open source software (which
> would probably include concerns for reducing dependence on Microsoft)?

No, a change as big as this (big organization, rollout to many thousand
users) is usually driven by several factors. So also in the example I
mentioned: both of these were a factor.