ongoing Thunderbird work after Tb 3.1

Dan Mosedale dmose at mozilla.org
Sat Apr 24 01:41:30 UTC 2010

  On 4/23/10 6:10 PM, JoeS wrote:
> Post TB3.1 planning..Thoughts
> I won't belabor the point, but just the fact that there was a TB3.1
> with the emphasis there proves that Mozilla messaging is in fact
> listening.
:-)
> I think it also shows that assume really can make an ass out of you
> and me..(Bad News Bears)
>
> Assumptions worth thinking about in future releases:
>
>     1. Prospective new TB users are non-technical types who simply
>     want to exchange simple text messages
>

> Plaintext vs. html is a dead issue. Let it go and give folks an easy
> way to compose stylish messages.
I agree with this, FWIW.

>     *2*. MS Outlook,Windows Live Mail users are not likely to migrate
>     to TB
>
> Probably not , if we don't offer an easy migration path.And offer
> equivalent functionality.

Indeed.  Happily, just today, we landed a patch that Phil Lacy put
together to import settings from Windows Live Mail, which is a great
step in the right direction.  (Thanks to Phil, Neil, and everyone else
who pushed hard to help this patch land in time for 3.1!)  If someone is
interested in putting together an importer for Live Mail messages
themselves, that'd be a fine thing...

>     *3*. Interoperability with other mail clients is a minimal edge case

So I very much don't think this is true, and I'm not aware of decisions
in the project that are treating it that way.

> While I would like to see all email interaction TB to TB that is
> certainly not the case.
I actually wouldn't.  I think biodiversity is important in any ecosystem.
> An example of this is that we fairly recently defaulted all inline
> images to content-disposition attachment, which lost all inline images
> to Gmail recipients.
> So TB just doesn't work in that scenario.
This isn't something I'm aware of.  Do you have a bug you can point me to?
> Oh, on the interoperability issue (Point 3) 99 out of 100 corporate
> mails received here are from MS based clients.(composed in html)
> Replying to them "in kind" is sometimes a challenge for me. (And I
> have been using TB since the very early days 0.5)
Indeed, issues of that nature are typically worth filing bugs about.
Interoperability is a big deal to us!

Dan