String and feature freeze

Dan Mosedale dmose at
Fri Apr 23 17:01:08 UTC 2010

  On 4/23/10 12:54 AM, bugzilla at wrote:
> Dan Mosedale<dmose at>  hat am 22. April 2010 um 22:56 geschrieben:
>> Sipaq, what are your thoughts?
> We either have a string freeze or we don't.
> If we have one, than any bug with string changes that lands after the
> freeze is a late-l10n bug by definition.
> Slipping the string freeze date would have been fine with me, but then
> somebody would have had to tell me about it beforehand, since I'm not
> the one who can decide this on his own.
> But postponing the string freeze would have meant postponing the release
> as well, since we can't just give localizers just 2-3 days to catch up
> with all our changes and still expect them to test their locales thoroughly
> and to give us l12y feedback in bugs where we ask for it.
> Does that clarify things?
Yes, that reasoning all makes sense; thanks!

I think the reality here is that the discomfort we're feeling is that we 
set an aggressive target with some risk around it and we didn't hit it, 
which never feels comfortable or good.

Let's definitely dig into the details at the post-mortem to see if there 
are ways that we can structure things in future iterations to have 
better failure modes in cases where we don't hit our targets.


More information about the tb-planning mailing list