TB 3.1 branch plans

Mark Banner mbanner at mozillamessaging.com
Fri Apr 16 10:48:20 UTC 2010

  On 15/04/2010 19:53, Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:
> This plan sounds good on my end, one question though.
>
> Do we plan to drop 1.9.2 ifdef's globally once branching is done, just
> on build-config (to make mail/ merge's easier) or what?
I think for build config we can drop the ifdefs soon after we branch -
the reason being is that I don't expect many build config changes to
need to be ported across.

For mailnews/, mail/ (and probably even calendar/), it would be useful
if we kept the code as it is until around the time we hit RCs, so that
we're not having to fight against ifdefs causing bitrot.
> If the plan is so soon, I can start writing the patch asap to do it
> (for branch c-c and trunk c-c code)
We won't do removals for comm-1.9.2. We didn't for comm-1.9.1, iirc we
saw no actual benefit to removing those ifdefs, and it also introduces a
minor bit of extra risk to a getting-to-be-stable branch. The in-code
ifdefs aren't significant so it shouldn't make it complicated to
understand/work with.

c-c is, of course, what we're working with going forward, so that
definitely needs tidying.

Mark.