3.1b2 plan

Dan Mosedale dmose at mozillamessaging.com
Mon Apr 5 23:24:25 UTC 2010

  As per last week's messages, we now have blog posts out there
requesting feedback on our two remaining key UX features by the end of
the day Wednesday.  So far, we've gotten some good feedback on the quick
filter bar, and, with luck, more will arrive on both that and the
migration assistant by Wednesday.

I'm hoping to see both up for code-review soon.

3.1b2 has already taken a bunch longer than we were hoping, and that's a
big deal because we need to get 3.1 final out so that we can offer Tb2
users a prompted major update and be able to completely let go of the
old 1.8.1 branch (Rafael will be posting more about our 2.0.0.x plans
later this week).

I'd still very much like to see us ship 3.1b2 very soon, a quick RC1 in
early May, and final at the beginning of June.  So, with that in mind,
I'd like us to prepare for 3.1b2 code/string/feature freeze immediately
after the migration assistant (bug 545563) and quick filter bar (bug
545955) land in the tree.  Note that part of the reason for landing them
quickly is because we think it will generate more feedback, so it's
entirely possible that once they land, we'll get feedback that will make
us reconsider the current plan.  But at this point, particularly with
regards to the filter bar, that doesn't seem particularly likely.

As often happens, it's become more clear that we can't really block on
all the bugs that are still on the blocker list.  I need to go through
the list again and make some hard decisions, but it's my belief that
anything that's not in the tree by the time those two bugs land is
something that we should seriously consider living without.

Also, please update the status whiteboard of any blocker bugs that you own.

Thanks!
Dan