3.1b2 feature feedback

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Sat Apr 3 00:35:59 UTC 2010

  On 03.04.2010 00:47, Dan Mosedale wrote:
> Unfortunately, we didn't get as much feedback as we would have liked
> ... on the filter toolbar addon

Here's my feedback to the filter toolbar:

Very nice work, very well thought out. Esp. about the spacing, how the
toolbars switch to icon only - great idea, and works very smoothly.
(Port this to generic toolbars! But reduce once button at a time.)

With one exception: I don't like it that it creates another toolbar. it
looks very cluttered to me. it's
kind of OK when it's hidden.
I expected it to be on the main toolbar, to the left of the search bar.
Essentially exactly like 2.0.

How about this instead:
1) Keep the main toolbar field like in 2.0, as filter for the thread pane.

2) Given that the gloda search opens in a new tab anyways, why not make
gloda search a button (not a field) on the toolbar, and make it open a
tab with a search field, and have the results come in there underneath it.
That has several advantages:

    * It removes the confusion that the gloda search is not about the
      folder, as the other quick search is, and above which it is when I
      type. It makes it conceptually clear that I am now departing from
      the current folder and it's a global search.
    * There's no sudden opening of a tab and break in the UI when I hit
      enter, but I move in the new mode before starting the search.
    * It would remove the conflict of 2 search bars.
    * It's no more clicks

Basically, I find this much more logical, and it solves the UI problem.