Limitation Suite

Dirk Schneider dirk.schneider at lka-mv.de
Thu Sep 12 00:43:06 PDT 2013

@Laurent

we use a IMAP server and backup this one every night into a single file
with lots of GBs without problems.

It's a linux system.
You can use a tarball of every mailbox, so you have a quick restore of
deleted or forgotten data. Most cases are not IMAP crash, mostly the
error is located 50 cm in front of the monitor ...

Best solution we found is to use maildir systems (at the server), so
every mail is a single file. Limitations are most widely outside
usability. IMHO nobody can use an unstructered mail filing, you can
structure by date, by correspondence or what else and you will never
reach more then a GB. I have up to 3-4 thousends of mail in a single
folder and then I start to sort because of searching is to exhausting.

Maybe you will see some brainstorming here :)

regards

Dirk

Dirk Schneider
Systemadministrator
Landeskriminalamt Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
Dezernat 12-3 (IT)
Retgendorfer Str. 09
19067 Rampe
Germany