Limitation Suite

MECHARLE Laurent laurent.mecharle at aviation-civile.gouv.fr
Wed Sep 11 06:41:07 PDT 2013


For complete in our case : we are use Win 7 with NTFS thunderbird 17.0.7esr.
I understand 40 Gb is not realistic but this mailbox its the Big Boss 
mail Box and received many mails per days and it s for that we try 
archive them.
And thats is i create new folder used max 4GB to store archive for clean 
up his mailbox he had mails for juridical reasons since up 10 years ago.
I think not the OS limit size but TB limit folders.

Thanks for your answers.


Document sans nom

Le 11/09/13 15:24, tb-enterprise-request at mozilla.org a écrit :
> Send tb-enterprise mailing list submissions to
> 	tb-enterprise at mozilla.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> 	https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/tb-enterprise
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> 	tb-enterprise-request at mozilla.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> 	tb-enterprise-owner at mozilla.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of tb-enterprise digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>     1. Re: Limitation msf size (Dirk Schneider)
>     2. Re: Limitation msf size (Timo Pietil?)
>     3. Re: Limitation msf size (Timo Pietil?)
>     4. Re: Limitation msf size (Dirk Schneider)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 14:46:54 +0200
> From: Dirk Schneider <dirk.schneider at lka-mv.de>
> To: tb-enterprise at mozilla.org
> Subject: Re: Limitation msf size
> Message-ID: <5230663E.8000705 at lka-mv.de>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"; Format="flowed"
>
> Hi at all,
>
> I think the limitation is resulted of filesystem and os limitations.
> Most operating systems have problems using extra large files.
> Windows with a mail storage file larger then 2GB - I don't wanna work with!
> IMHO the only way would be to use maildir instead of mailbox files, so
> only the index has to be into a single file. And the only limitation
> would be the storage at the local disk, mostly the count of files, not
> only the size.
> We use IMAP systems with maildir, so the usage is very fast, last
> systems with mailbox is much slower.
>
> regards
>
> Dirk
>
> Dirk Schneider
> Systemadministrator
> Landeskriminalamt Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
> Dezernat 12-3 (IT)
> Retgendorfer Str. 09
> 19067 Rampe
> Germany
>
> Mail: dirk.schneider at lka-mv.de
> Mail: dirk.schneider at polmv.de
> Tel: +49 3866 64-1233
> Fax: +49 3866 64-1250
>
> Am 11.09.2013 14:04, schrieb MECHARLE Laurent:
>> Hi all
>> Thanks to Siva for his purpose. I have the same remark about the size
>> archive for users have big mailbox. In my Case i Have a mailbox since 40
>> Gb and actually i make many third party of archives folders for archive
>> mailbox.
>> Great for your job guys we are happy enjoy and used thunderbird client.
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Document sans nom
>>
>> Le 11/09/13 13:47, tb-enterprise-request at mozilla.org a ?crit :
>>> Send tb-enterprise mailing list submissions to
>>> 	tb-enterprise at mozilla.org
>>>
>>> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>>> 	https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/tb-enterprise
>>> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>>> 	tb-enterprise-request at mozilla.org
>>>
>>> You can reach the person managing the list at
>>> 	tb-enterprise-owner at mozilla.org
>>>
>>> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>>> than "Re: Contents of tb-enterprise digest..."
>>>
>>>
>>> Today's Topics:
>>>
>>>      1. Re: Thunderbird's Problems (Ben Bucksch)
>>>      2. Thank you Mozilla (Md. Jawed Ahmed)
>>>      3. Thank you Mozilla (Eric Grimaldi)
>>>      4.  (Siva)
>>>      5. languageproblems! (Villads S?rensen)
>>>      6. Re: languageproblems! (Mark Banner)
>>>      7. Re: Thunderbird's Problems (Tanstaafl)
>>>      8. Re: (Don, in Vegas)
>>>
>>>
>>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> Message: 1
>>> Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 01:53:27 +0200
>>> From: Ben Bucksch<ben.bucksch at beonex.com>
>>> To:nasir.sultan at nuricon.com
>>> Cc:tb-enterprise at mozilla.org
>>> Subject: Re: Thunderbird's Problems
>>> Message-ID:<522FB0F7.9040405 at beonex.com>
>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>>>
>>> Nasir Sultan wrote, On 10.09.2013 05:38:
>>>> A few people who have e-mailed to me have some kind of embedded
>>>> graphic in their e-mail signature. I have tried a few times to forward
>>>> e-mails to others, and the e-mail always hangs. Thunderbird brings up
>>>> a dialog that says: Sending Messages - "Then you see the subject line
>>>> here" Status: Attaching ... Progress: "Then you see a progress bar
>>>> here". The e-mail never gets sent and will hang. You can hit cancel to
>>>> stop. If you then go into the e-mail and delete the embedded graphic
>>>> signature, then you can send.
>>> This is because the image in the signature is not sent with the message,
>>> but on a web server.
>>>
>>> This should be solved when you switch to "Simple HTML":
>>> Menu View | Message body as | Simple HTML.
>>> That will show a much simpler version of the HTML message that you
>>> receive, including stripping remote graphics, but also use the same
>>> simplified HTML for quoting.
>>>
>>> There's a TB bug in bugzilla to always use the sanitized version of the
>>> HTML when quoting (but I couldn't find it. anybody?)
>>>
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> Message: 2
>>> Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 10:03:03 +0530
>>> From: "Md. Jawed Ahmed"<j.ahmed at kancor.in>
>>> To:<tb-enterprise at mozilla.org>
>>> Subject: Thank you Mozilla
>>> Message-ID:<522FF27F.10800 at kancor.in>
>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"; Format="flowed"
>>>
>>> Dear Team,
>>> I have been using TB for close to 6 years now. I used a freeware called Pegasus Mail before that.
>>>
>>> I have never used Outlook ever and don't want to use it in future either.
>>>
>>>
>>> I just wish to express my gratitude to the entire team for this wonderful mailing application. It has all the features and functions that any user can ask for.  Keep up the great work ! !
>>>
>>> best regards,
>>> jawed ahmed,
>>> India
>>> --
>>>
>>> ________________________________
>>>
>>> ________________________________
>>> _________________________________________________________ ####KANCOR EMAIL DISCLAIMER#### This electronic transmission and any document accompanying this electronic transmission contain information belonging to the sender. This information may be legally privileged. This information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom its addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,copying,distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on or regarding the contents of this electronically transmitted information is strictly prohibited. Unless explicitly and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended" or "Electronic Contract Intended" this mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment or acceptance of a contract offer. _________________________________________________________
>>> -------------- next part --------------
>>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>>> URL:<http://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/tb-enterprise/attachments/20130911/687f1cc6/attachment-0001.html>
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> Message: 3
>>> Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 11:45:39 +0700
>>> From: Eric Grimaldi<eric.grimaldi at gmail.com>
>>> To:tb-enterprise at mozilla.org
>>> Subject: Thank you Mozilla
>>> Message-ID:<522FF573.2070903 at gmail.com>
>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I also wish the best for the Thunderbird Firefox Mozilla's team. For the
>>> past 3 years I've been using Thunderbird, it has always been a pleasure
>>> and still is even if I don't master it completely yet. Having to work a
>>> lot with emails I consider it the best.
>>> Please carry on,
>>>
>>> Thanks and best regards,
>>>
>>> Eric Grimaldi,
>>> Thailand.
>>>
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> Message: 4
>>> Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 14:21:03 +0530
>>> From: Siva<sivakakkera5 at gmail.com>
>>> To:tb-enterprise at mozilla.org
>>> Message-ID:
>>> 	<CAN4j5iuTWqdWTkPK-ZjLpxgStxeUutRKbkuDgbqU22gCr3PnCw at mail.gmail.com>
>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>>>
>>> Dear Team,
>>>
>>>                    Thunderbird is excellent client, Thanks a lot to Mozilla
>>> providing open source applications. If possible please increase Thunderbird
>>> inbox limitation of 4 GB. It will be more helpful to the the users.
>>>
>>> Thanking You
>>> Siva
>>> -------------- next part --------------
>>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>>> URL:<http://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/tb-enterprise/attachments/20130911/7e716e61/attachment-0001.html>
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> Message: 5
>>> Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 11:08:00 +0200
>>> From: Villads S?rensen<villadspeder at stofanet.dk>
>>> To:tb-enterprise at mozilla.org
>>> Subject: languageproblems!
>>> Message-ID:<523032F0.8060009 at stofanet.dk>
>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>>>
>>> Dear mozilla team!
>>>
>>> I have used TB for more than 6 years. I have never got problems with the
>>> program,
>>> but I miss my own language now. I am danish and 80 years old and I have
>>> unfortunably
>>> forgot the english I learned in the school. What can you do for the
>>> users i Denmark?
>>>
>>> With kind regards Villads S?rensen, Denmark
>>>
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> Message: 6
>>> Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 10:10:28 +0100
>>> From: Mark Banner<mbanner at mozilla.com>
>>> To: Villads S?rensen<villadspeder at stofanet.dk>,
>>> 	tb-enterprise at mozilla.org
>>> Subject: Re: languageproblems!
>>> Message-ID:<52303384.1070401 at mozilla.com>
>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"; Format="flowed"
>>>
>>> Hi Villads,
>>>
>>> On 11/09/2013 10:08, Villads S?rensen wrote:
>>>> I have used TB for more than 6 years. I have never got problems with
>>>> the program,
>>>> but I miss my own language now. I am danish and 80 years old and I
>>>> have unfortunably
>>>> forgot the english I learned in the school. What can you do for the
>>>> users i Denmark?
>>> We have various translations of Thunderbird available, you can download
>>> them from:
>>>
>>> https://www.mozilla.org/thunderbird/organizations/all-esr.html
>>>
>>> Mark.
>>>
>>> -------------- next part --------------
>>> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
>>> Name: smime.p7s
>>> Type: application/pkcs7-signature
>>> Size: 3910 bytes
>>> Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature
>>> URL:<http://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/tb-enterprise/attachments/20130911/612a2821/attachment-0001.p7s>
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> Message: 7
>>> Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 06:53:37 -0400
>>> From: Tanstaafl<tanstaafl at libertytrek.org>
>>> To:tb-enterprise at mozilla.org
>>> Subject: Re: Thunderbird's Problems
>>> Message-ID:<52304BB1.6040302 at libertytrek.org>
>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>>>
>>> On 2013-09-10 7:53 PM, Ben Bucksch<ben.bucksch at beonex.com>  wrote:
>>>> Nasir Sultan wrote, On 10.09.2013 05:38:
>>>>> A few people who have e-mailed to me have some kind of embedded
>>>>> graphic in their e-mail signature. I have tried a few times to forward
>>>>> e-mails to others, and the e-mail always hangs. Thunderbird brings up
>>>>> a dialog that says: Sending Messages - "Then you see the subject line
>>>>> here" Status: Attaching ... Progress: "Then you see a progress bar
>>>>> here". The e-mail never gets sent and will hang. You can hit cancel to
>>>>> stop. If you then go into the e-mail and delete the embedded graphic
>>>>> signature, then you can send.
>>>> This is because the image in the signature is not sent with the message,
>>>> but on a web server.
>>>>
>>>> This should be solved when you switch to "Simple HTML":
>>>> Menu View | Message body as | Simple HTML.
>>>> That will show a much simpler version of the HTML message that you
>>>> receive, including stripping remote graphics, but also use the same
>>>> simplified HTML for quoting.
>>>>
>>>> There's a TB bug in bugzilla to always use the sanitized version of the
>>>> HTML when quoting (but I couldn't find it. anybody?)
>>> Well, this is the first I've heard of this, and I've read all of the
>>> bugs that I know of pertaining to this issue, which was biting us *very*
>>> hard a while back (but seems to be much less of a problem now)...
>>>
>>> I'd very much appreciate a pointer to said bug as well... if that would
>>> truly fix this majorly annoying problem, I'm guessing the reason it
>>> hasn't been done is it isn't as easy as it sounds like it would be?
>>>
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> Message: 8
>>> Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 06:46:37 -0500
>>> From: "Don, in Vegas"<dstrevel at gmail.com>
>>> To: Siva<sivakakkera5 at gmail.com>
>>> Cc:tb-enterprise at mozilla.org
>>> Subject: Re:
>>> Message-ID:
>>> 	<CAKWf2_DhfHoSDc+_=xxsHXWjtGxKk2p=_ZKzTm+BmT+ueQYj6Q at mail.gmail.com>
>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>>>
>>> One way to handle email is to mercilessly delete it after you read / act
>>> upon it.  If it is no longer needed, get rid of it. :)
>>>
>>> Don, Las Vegas
>>>
>>> It costs nothing to say something kind. Even less to shut up altogether.
>>> *Est iactura nihil aliquid dicere generis. Neque omnino claudere.*
>>>
>>>
>>> On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 3:51 AM, Siva<sivakakkera5 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>>> Dear Team,
>>>>
>>>>                    Thunderbird is excellent client, Thanks a lot to Mozilla
>>>> providing open source applications. If possible please increase Thunderbird
>>>> inbox limitation of 4 GB. It will be more helpful to the the users.
>>>>
>>>> Thanking You
>>>> Siva
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> tb-enterprise mailing list
>>>> tb-enterprise at mozilla.org
>>>> https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/tb-enterprise
>>>>
>>>>
>>> -------------- next part --------------
>>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>>> URL:<http://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/tb-enterprise/attachments/20130911/04fc2d5a/attachment.html>
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> Subject: Digest Footer
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> tb-enterprise mailing list
>>> tb-enterprise at mozilla.org
>>> https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/tb-enterprise
>>>
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> End of tb-enterprise Digest, Vol 36, Issue 3
>>> ********************************************
>> --
>> This email was Virus checked by Security Gateway at LKA MV.
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> tb-enterprise mailing list
>> tb-enterprise at mozilla.org
>> https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/tb-enterprise
>>
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: smime.p7s
> Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
> Size: 2398 bytes
> Desc: not available
> URL: <http://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/tb-enterprise/attachments/20130911/f58d8eec/attachment-0001.bin>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 15:49:27 +0300
> From: Timo Pietil? <timo.pietila at helsinki.fi>
> To: tb-enterprise at mozilla.org
> Subject: Re: Limitation msf size
> Message-ID: <523066D7.3000403 at helsinki.fi>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> On 11.9.2013 15:04, MECHARLE Laurent wrote:
>> Hi all
>> Thanks to Siva for his purpose. I have the same remark about the size
>> archive for users have big mailbox. In my Case i Have a mailbox since 40
>> Gb and actually i make many third party of archives folders for archive
>> mailbox.
>> Great for your job guys we are happy enjoy and used thunderbird client.
> AFAIK 4GB is limit for single folder. All folders have that same limit,
> but individually, so divide your posts to multiple folders.
>
> 40GB is a lot. That practically requires attachments. You should detach
> big attachments from your messages. (I have 6500 messages in my inbox,
> and it still uses way less than 200MB. 40GB is 200* that = 130000+
> messages. Not realistic.)
>
> Sort by message size to find what takes space in your inbox.
>
> Timo Pietil?
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 15:54:59 +0300
> From: Timo Pietil? <timo.pietila at helsinki.fi>
> To: tb-enterprise at mozilla.org
> Subject: Re: Limitation msf size
> Message-ID: <52306823.7010506 at helsinki.fi>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> On 11.9.2013 15:46, Dirk Schneider wrote:
>> Hi at all,
>>
>> I think the limitation is resulted of filesystem and os limitations.
>> Most operating systems have problems using extra large files.
>> Windows with a mail storage file larger then 2GB - I don't wanna work with!
> That's ancient limit that doesn't apply anymore, but might have been
> origin of TB limit. FAT32 had 4GB limit, NTFS limit is a bit under 16TB.
>
> TB is however limited to 4GB regardless of file system (unless file
> system limits it even further obviously):
>
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Limits_%28Thunderbird%29
>
> Timo Pietil?
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 15:23:48 +0200
> From: Dirk Schneider <dirk.schneider at lka-mv.de>
> To: tb-enterprise at mozilla.org
> Subject: Re: Limitation msf size
> Message-ID: <52306EE4.9040809 at lka-mv.de>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"; Format="flowed"
>
> The restriction 2GB is a FAT16 limit.
> This limit was used for max file size from dos/win 3.x to win millenium,
> 2000 and XP because of old hardware and inflexible system administrators
> ("Never change a running system"), so FAT and it's limitations survived
> at least within the heads ...
>
> Today large files are possible, but a single file with a lot of needed
> informations within is horrible ...
>
> Most users with mailboxes greater then 1,5 GB are asking me about the
> slow-speeded mail system and some clients (not using thunderbird)
> crashes. So I dont prefer to use storages > 1GB within a single file.
> Mostly I use IMAP folders for sorting mails, who the <censored> can
> handle x-thousends of mails within a single folder?
>
> regards
>
> Dirk
>
> Dirk Schneider
> Systemadministrator
> Landeskriminalamt Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
> Dezernat 12-3 (IT)
> Retgendorfer Str. 09
> 19067 Rampe
> Germany
>
> Mail: dirk.schneider at lka-mv.de
> Mail: dirk.schneider at polmv.de
> Tel: +49 3866 64-1233
> Fax: +49 3866 64-1250
>
> Am 11.09.2013 14:54, schrieb Timo Pietil?:
>> On 11.9.2013 15:46, Dirk Schneider wrote:
>>> Hi at all,
>>>
>>> I think the limitation is resulted of filesystem and os limitations.
>>> Most operating systems have problems using extra large files.
>>> Windows with a mail storage file larger then 2GB - I don't wanna work
>>> with!
>> That's ancient limit that doesn't apply anymore, but might have been
>> origin of TB limit. FAT32 had 4GB limit, NTFS limit is a bit under 16TB.
>>
>> TB is however limited to 4GB regardless of file system (unless file
>> system limits it even further obviously):
>>
>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Limits_%28Thunderbird%29
>>
>> Timo Pietil?
>> _______________________________________________
>> tb-enterprise mailing list
>> tb-enterprise at mozilla.org
>> https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/tb-enterprise
>>
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: smime.p7s
> Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
> Size: 2398 bytes
> Desc: not available
> URL: <http://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/tb-enterprise/attachments/20130911/0cbe40cd/attachment.bin>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Subject: Digest Footer
>
> _______________________________________________
> tb-enterprise mailing list
> tb-enterprise at mozilla.org
> https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/tb-enterprise
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> End of tb-enterprise Digest, Vol 36, Issue 5
> ********************************************

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/tb-enterprise/attachments/20130911/636b0f88/attachment-0001.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: laurent_mecharle.vcf
Type: text/x-vcard
Size: 424 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/tb-enterprise/attachments/20130911/636b0f88/attachment-0001.vcf>


More information about the tb-enterprise mailing list