Limitation msf size

Dirk Schneider dirk.schneider at lka-mv.de
Wed Sep 11 06:23:48 PDT 2013

The restriction 2GB is a FAT16 limit.
This limit was used for max file size from dos/win 3.x to win millenium,
2000 and XP because of old hardware and inflexible system administrators
("Never change a running system"), so FAT and it's limitations survived
at least within the heads ...

Today large files are possible, but a single file with a lot of needed
informations within is horrible ...

Most users with mailboxes greater then 1,5 GB are asking me about the
slow-speeded mail system and some clients (not using thunderbird)
crashes. So I dont prefer to use storages > 1GB within a single file.
Mostly I use IMAP folders for sorting mails, who the <censored> can
handle x-thousends of mails within a single folder?

regards

Dirk

Dirk Schneider
Systemadministrator
Landeskriminalamt Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
Dezernat 12-3 (IT)
Retgendorfer Str. 09
19067 Rampe
Germany